Return to Fabled City main page
Building List
This page was generated by Excel. It's a little unwieldy, but useful.  I'll add more to the list as time goes on.  Meanwhile, watch out for where I have included a round figure for a date like '1990' - this was purely a guessdate for sorting purposes. (Last updated 21 February, 2001)
building, event or person build date architect location demolished notes
Roman Baths complex 200   Abbey Churchyard   city of bath corporation bought land in 1870s and excavated.  Direction of c Davis, city architect. Arch diggings1923. 1790- Thomas Baldwin discovered pieces of the pediment of temple of Minerva
The George Inn 1200   Norton St Philip   oldest inn in Britain - continuous licences since 1200s. Visited by pepys 1668
King John 1212       visited Bath for hunting, also in 1213, john paid 5s to head falconer and co, and 5s for fowl for his falcons.
Pilgrims In Bath 1300       Somerset was prime wool-producing country in late 14th and 15th centuries. In 1138 the GESTA STEPHANI recorded the baths at Bath as 'most delightful to see and beneficial to health'. Henry III had a house in the city and spend money on restoring the wall around the king's bath.  Leland describes the Kings bath as being used by gentlemen.  Also the Cross bath is mentioned, as Alesy's Bath (another hot bath), the lepers Bath, Mild Bath and the Priory Bath.
Black Death 1349       a measurement of beneficed clergy in bath and wells shows mortality in the black death of 47.6 percent. Average mortality is reckoned to be around 34-45 percent.
The East Gate 1400   Boatstall Lane   10 feet wide and 15 high
The North Gate 1400   Northgate Street   used as king Edward Sixth's grammar school, 1583-1750s.  Church also used partly as a gaol.
The South Gate 1400   Southgate   eleven feet wide and fifteen feet high, with four gables and statues.  Gate knocked down in 1755 to widen the road into the city
Bath Abbey 1490 Bishop Oliver King Abbey   earliest Saxon church gone, ditto Norman cathedral.  King's abbey was unfinished by dissolution of monasteries in 1530, visited by q Elizabeth 1574 , ordered restoration. in 1603 it was roofless and Thomas Bellott gave £200 for its restoration.  In 1833 embellished the turrets, then the flying buttresses added, then turrets changed from square to octagonal. New pinnacles added later still.
Leland 1530       The Colour of the Water of the Baynes is as it were a depe blew Se Water, and rikith like a sething Potte continually, having somewhat a sulpherous and sumwhat a pleasant flavour.  The Water that rennith from the 2 smaul Bahthes goit by a Dike into avon by West bynethe the Bridge.  The Water that goith from the Kinges Bath turnith a Mylle, and after goith into Avon about Bath Bridge.  In all the 3 Bathes a Man may evidently se how the Water burbelith up from the Springes.
The West Gate 1572   Westgate Street 1776 rebuilt 1572 from previous structure
Queens Bath 1597   Stall Street   used in  1616 by queen Anne of Denmark
White Hart 1600   Stall Street 1869 guessdate grand pump room hotel built on this site
Hetling House 1600   Bath Street   then Hungerford house, now abbey church house
Orange Grove 1600       guessdate originally had rows of trees and Gravel Walks, which gave it its previous name.
Bellotts Hospital 1611   Beau Street   rebuilt version survives. Mr Thomas Bellott paid for the construction of the queens bath.  This almshouse was for poor men to use the hot waters - 18 could bathe free and had lodging and 1s10p a week.
Number 7, Broad Street 1640       This date and the initials MB hidden in the house hidden in the shop!
Battle Of Lansdown 1643   Lansdown   bath was royalist held in the civil war, but remained on good terms with both sides.  The battle on Lansdown hill between parliamentary forces and the cavaliers - won by the kings men, but losses included sir Beville Grenville, on parliamentary side
Kings Bath Balustrade 1697 Francis Stonar      
Nassau House 1700   Orange Grove 1899 opposite the Abbey with city wall fragments either side
Richard Nash 1704       arrived bath 1704. Banned swords. Died 1761 aged 87
Trim St 1707   Trim Street    
Harrison's Walks 1708       pleasure gardens, roughly where Institution gardens now stand.  Pre 1734
Number 38, Broad Street 1709        
Saracens Head Inn 1713        
Queen Square 1728 John Wood The Elder     west side completed by Thomas Pinch in 1830
St John's Gate 1728   Trim Street   now trim bridge, opened in 1728 for access through to new queen sq development
Beaufort Square 1730 John Strahan     guessdate
Rosewell House 1736   Kingsmead Square   One of the earliest in the city centre
Duke St 1740   Duke Street   part of north parade scheme, unfinished
North Parade 1740 John Wood The Elder North Parade   scheme for grand square of houses
Pierrepont St 1740 John Wood The Elder Pierrepont St    
Spring Gardens 1740   Bath Recreation Ground   approximately.  Where the Boater pub now is. Closed in 1795 to become a builders yard for john Eveleigh
The Huntsman 1750   Grand Parade   Once the Parade Coffee House - the oldest surviving shopfront in Bath.
Lower Assembly Room 1750   Grand Parade    
Abbey Street 1750       part of the Duke of Kingston's development in this area
Church Street 1750       part of the Duke of Kingston's development in this area
Orange Grove Houses 1750       the shell-like window hoods are from 1900s
Gallaway's Buildings 1751   off North Parade passage    
King Edwards School 1752   Broad Street   built on the site of The Black Swan Inn
The Kings Circus 1754 John Wood The Elder      
Kingston Baths 1755   Abbey Square   during their construction roman remains were uncovered but left
Prior Park Bridge 1755   Prior Park    
Bladud's Buildings 1755       This site was once known as the Town Garden or Cockey's garden
Camden Crescent 1760   Camden   guessdate
Monument Field Tower 1760 Bishop Warburton Combe Down   in memory of his uncle in law ralph asllen. Represents holy trinity. 
The Star Pub 1760       date of first licence -interior fittings are all 19th century by Gaskell and Gaskell - all still there!
Prior Park House 1760 John Wood Combe Down    
Edgar Bdgs 1761   Edgar Buildings   before Milsom St was built on Charles Milsom's gardens
Milsom St 1762   Milsom Street    
Sham Castle 1762 see notes Claverton Down   Sanderson Miller Or Richard Jones. Apparently its proper name is The Castle on the Warren. It was built by Ralph Allen to advertise his stone quarries - and improve the view from his house in town.
Countess of Huntingdon's Chapel 1765        
The Royal Crescent 1767 John Wood The Younger      
Assembly Rooms (Upper) 1768 John Wood The Younger Alfred St   19thc additions taken down in restoration of 1938.then gutted in air raid 1942. Reopened 1963, then shut again 1987, opened again 1991
Royal York Hotel 1768 John Wood The Younger George Street   guessdate - originally an inn known as York House  Princess Victoria stayed here in 1830
St James Church 1768 John Palmer By The South Gate   13thc, then replaced 1768, altered by G P  manners 1848 bombed in 1942, knocked down 1957. Mrs Thrale married here to Mr Piozzi in 1781-1809
The Paragon 1769 Thomas Atwood      
Pulteney Bridge 1769 Robert Adam River Avon   rebuilt west end in 1804
Fountain Buildings 1775        
The Gordon Riots 1780        
St James Burying Ground 1780   opposite Lamb and Lion   Now a small park between St james Parade and Borough wall
North of Sydney Gardens 1783       pleasure gardens. Land bought by James ferry in 1777, built Bathwick Villa, auctioned in 1782 and opened for subscription gardens in 1783
Lansdown Crescent 1789 John Palmer     rest of street delayed by failure of Bath City Bank in 1793
No 1 Johnstone St 1789 William Pulteney Johnstone Street   William Joyhnstone Pulteney
Abbey Green (the tree there) 1790   Abbey Green   m and s arch was built in 1973 by the site of the old abbey gate
Kings And Queens Baths Entrance 1790 Thomas Baldwin Stall Street   upper storey added by Charles Davis in 1886, now removed= and replaced with glass dome to Baldwin's original design
Waterloo Bdgs, Ebenezer Terrace 1790   Widcombe Lock 1969 for traffic scheme
Westgate Bdgs 1790   Avon Street    
Grosvenor Gardens 1791 John Eveleigh     now all that remains is Grosvenor house
Watchman's Box 1793   Norfolk Crescent   restored 1896
Sydney gardens 1794 Thomas Baldwin     pleasure gardens. Land bought by James ferry in 1777, built Bathwick villa, auctioned in 1782 and opened for subscription gardens in 1783
Theatre Royal 1805   Sawclose   originally in orchard St.  Current building had front entrance in Beaufort sq until fire in 1862
Bath Royal Lit and Sci Institute 1820   Grand Parade 1933 Now  Bog Island is on this site
Dunsford Place 1825   Bathwick Hill    
Raby Place 1825 John Pinch The Elder Bathwick   originally church St until 1829ish
The Corridor 1825   High Street    
Prior Park Buildings 1826        
Beckford's Tower 1827 Goodridge Lansdown   Beckford used the tower as a retreat and to store his collection of furniture, porcelain, pictures, books, and Chinese and Japanese lacquer.
Cleveland Bridge 1827 Goodridge Cleveland place   Greek Revival style.
Full Moon Hotel 1831   Southgate    
St Michaels Without 1837 G P Manners Northgate Street   built in the early English style
St Stephens Church Lansdown 1840   Lansdown   consecrated 1889 - altar had wrong alignment
Blue Coat Charity School 1860   Upper Borough Walls    
Pulteney Hotel 1860   Laura Place   hotel open 1866, now Connaught bdgs
St John's RC Church 1863 Charles Hanson Manvers Street    
Grand Pump Room Hotel 1869 Wilcox And Wilson Stall Street    
Horse Trams 1880        
K Bath Conduit 1880   Stall Street   1664 conduit had cross.  The 1880 conduit removed 1979 and not replaced
Somerset Bdgs 1890   Milsom Street    
St Mary By Northgate 1890   Northgate Street    
Fountain Bath St 1890 Pieroni Bath Street   only free supply of bath mineral water. Vase on top to Victoria park. Statue of bladud vanished.  Restored 1977, then moved to terrace walk, now just tap water.
Oldfield Park 1890        
Hetling Court 1890   Bath Street   named for wm Hetling wine merchant of 18thc
New Guildhall Wings 1895   High Street    
Pump Room Complex 1897 John Brydon Abbey Churchyard   concert room now just vestibule for roman baths museum. Electricity 1890s, cost £200000
Angel Of Peace 1900   Institution Gardens   originally at top of Milsom St, moved to gardens in 1934
St Michaels Church House 1904 Wallace Gill     Art Nouveau, rare in Bath
Ascension Church 1911   Claude Avenue    
Post Office 1927   Northgate Street    
The Oval semi-detached houses 1928   Englishcombe Park   Homes for Heroes…built after the First World War
Odd Down semi-detached houses 1930   Odd Down   Bath's largest inter-war housing development. Estates like this were springing on city fringes all over Britain at this period.
Electricity Showrooms 1933   Dorchester Street    
Prefabricated Houses 1949   Weston   known as Cornish unit houses, these are the prefabs still around today in Whiteway, weston, and Foxhill
Beaufort Hotel/Bath Hilton 1969   Walcot Street   now the Hilton?
The Podium Shopping centre 1990   Northgate Street   guessdate
Seven Dials colonnades 1990   Sawclose/Seven Dials   influenced by Pinch?